Saturday, June 28, 2008

Rishikesh; May 22 - Travel to Delhi in PM

Photo: The walk to Parmath Niketan in Ram Jhula... lined with ascetics... and cows, of course.


This was my final day and most enjoyable day in Rishikesh. I had finally found my way to an ashram that was perfect for me. I went to Parmath Niketan with a fellow traveler - Marjolaine from France. She was also staying at the Sant Seva ashram in Laxman Jhula, and had checked out a number of ashrams along the way. I had recommended trying PN, and she confirmed that it had the yoga environment I was hoping to find. We were joined by another spiritual traveler, Lucie (French born but living in NYC)... so it was the three of us walkng the path to Ram Jhula and going to asana, chanting, pranayama and dhyana practice there. Between sessions we went to Ganga View Ayurvedic Cafe which is a favorite for me in Rishikesh now.

For my return to Delhi, I had arrangements to meet a taxi at the stand on the other side of the Ganges, so I stayed as long as I could at PN - originally planned to go to asana practice and then return to pack bags, etc.; but it was so good that I decided to stay for pranayama, chanting, and meditation at PN. So, after class I only had about an hour before I left... had to hurry back to finish packing and move out. It rained in sheets on the way back and we were all soaked to the skin. It was warm and enjoyable... I ended up walking in bare feet as my flip flops were just flopping around at that point.

Got to the ashram, threw my stuff into duffels and two young guys from the ashram offered to be porters (still schlepping all of the climbing gear). Rain stopped as we walked over the bridge and the sun popped out. Driver was late by about an hour, due to traffic.

Trip to Delhi was about 6 hours. I would take the train next time... the roads are so bad and noisy... first-class train is the preferred way to travel. We arrived in Delhi to gridlock traffic... due to monsoon rains.

I went back to Regent Continental Hotel to meet with the importer... last shot at getting carpets... bought a couple of gifts for Carol.

Off to the airport with our original tourist driver from the first day in Delhi... closed the loop where I started.

Airport tipping scene was vintage for poor countries... tip everyone who got their hands on my bags or hire one guy to take care of all this stuff...


Photo of mystic walking toward Ram Jhula.

No comments: