Friday, June 27, 2008

Basecamp to Camp 1 (4,800); May 7

Photo Above: Tindoop (Lead Sherpa) led our Puja Ceremony at Basecamp... prayer flags, incense and offerings

Photo Above: Our team setting up Camp 1 on the moraine...
This was an exciting day, as we set out on the climb. We would stay on the mountain until we summited or ran out of time. We had allowed for about 6 days of food/fuel; and several people had commitments in Delhi for about 10 days later. So, this was it.
We did not need to rope up for the climb. There was some new snow but other than that it was the same as our shuttle day.
I had my own single tent at Camp 1, which was nice. Raja and I sat and talked about life over tea in the evening... it had started to snow again and continued well into the night. This was a pattern that we had hoped to avoid.
I enjoyed the solitude of this place.... very spiritual for me. Later that night I reorganized my pack for the climb, taking out some food and clothing that I thought I would not need. The weight was a big issue as I was carrying about 20#.

No comments: